Travel to Poland

1/05/2013 -- Admin
Share this: 
Rate this: 
Average: 5 (3 votes)

Krakow, Gdansk, winter sports, borscht, forests, Lublin, Auschwitz, Tatra Mountains, pickled veg, gothic castles, horse riding, mountain trekking, vodka, bird watching, sailing, camping, cycling, plumbers, spas, rivers, angling, folk art, Piotrkowska St, hiking, bison, Malbork Castle, Wieliczka Salt Mine carvings, lakes, gothic churches, pierogi dumplings, architecture, dentists, Torun old town, Chopin …

Medical and Health

You can use your European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) for free or reduced cost urgent medical treatment in Poland from providers in the state healthcare scheme.  Look for the NFZ logo. 

Popular among Brits for dental and cosmetic surgery, just remember travel to Poland specifically for medical treatment isn’t covered by the EHIC or travel insurance.

Documents needed: EHIC and passport

Doctors and Dentists

Doctors: Unless the doctor or clinic has the NFZ (National Health Fund) sign, you’ll be charged as a private patient and can’t claim back treatment costs on your European Health Insurance Card.

The EU medical card – previously known as the E111 Form - also covers any necessary treatment of pre-existing medical conditions eg heart problem, high blood pressure, diabetes, arthritis, if they flare up during your visit to Poland.

Dentists:  Often dentists offer both NFZ and private treatment.  Only basic emergency dental treatment is free with the EHIC. 

Polish dentists have a good reputation generally and are a lot cheaper than in the UK.  Remember most travel insurance policies only cover emergency dental pain relief up to a specified limit.

Hospital Treatment and Ambulance Costs

Unless it’s a real emergency you need a doctor’s referral for hospital admittance, otherwise go directly to any state hospital for prompt treatment. 

To call an ambulance, dial 999 from a landline or 112 from your mobile.

Remember to show your EHIC on admission.  Medicines provided in hospital are free of charge under the public scheme.

Private clinics are usually of a good standard but can be expensive and expect cash/credit card payment or proof of comprehensive travel health insurance.

Ambulance:  Emergency transport is free.  Services can be patchy in rural areas, so make sure you have comprehensive travel insurance for medical emergency expenses and repatriation.


Your EHIC entitles you to subsidised medicines if the prescription is issued by an NFZ doctor. Depending on the type of medication needed, you’ll usually pay a small fixed fee for basic medicines or between 30% and 50% of the price. 

For drugs that aren’t on the approved list, you need to pay full price.