Travel to Germany

18/07/2013 -- Mary Simpson
Share this: 
Rate this: 
Average: 5 (3 votes)

Rhine river cruises, fairytale castles, mountain biking, Bavarian Alps, snowboarding, Oktoberfest, Christmas markets, The Brandenburg Gate, hiking, Berlin, Cologne Cathedral, lakes, Neuschwanstein, Black Forest, fishing, Dresden, sausages, Cologne, beer, palaces, cycling, walking, Berlin, Grimm brothers, museums, rivers, Sauerkraut, sailing, Munich Beer festival …

Medical and Health

Documents needed: EHIC and Passport.

Doctors and Dentists

The European Medical Cover Card (EHIC) covers the cost of necessary medical treatment from the state-run health service in Germany, but you may have to pay in advance then claim a refund back in the UK.  

A standard fee of €10 is payable upfront, often cash only.

GPs and dental surgeries with a sign saying Kassenarzt or Alle Kassen are in the German national health service.

Dental treatment is free for children under 18.

Hospital Treatment and Ambulance Costs

Except for real emergencies such as a broke leg skiing, you need a doctor’s referral for hospital treatment. Show your EHIC – previously known as the E111 – on admission.

There’s a fixed charge of €10 a day for a maximum of 28 days in a year. No charge up to the age of 18.

Ambulance:  Only covered by your EU medical card in emergencies or if a doctor states that it's needed for medical reasons.


You pay 10% of the cost subject to a minimum charge of €5 and a maximum charge of €10. For everyday drugs and medicines (painkillers, cough mixtures) you may be charged in full.  Kids under 18 don’t pay a fee for prescriptions.

For urgent medication out of hours, visit an emergency pharmacy (Apotheken-Notdienst).

There are strict regulations about how much and what kind of medications can be imported to Germany. See German customs page for more information.

The EHIC card isn’t the same as having comprehensive travel insurance.  See What Can Go Wrong if in doubt about whether you need travel insurance for Germany.


NHS Choices Germany Guide

Foreign Office Travel Advice