Travel to Czech Republic

30/04/2013 -- Admin
Share this: 
Rate this: 
Average: 5 (3 votes)

Skodas, gingerbread, spas, sailing, canoeing, rafting, stud farms, wine trails, castles, chateaux, Prague, Mucha Museum, mountain hiking and biking, beer, Church of St Nicholas, dumplings, winter sports, Good King Wenceslas …

Medical and Health

Documents needed:  EHIC and passport.

Doctors and Dentists

Doctors:  Most work in the public health insurance system, with private practitioners springing up to cater for the hordes of foreign tourists to the Czech Republic. 

There’s a small consultation fee to see a doctor.  If you don’t have a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) you’ll be asked for proof that you can pay for treatment, eg, travel insurance, credit card, and if not cash on the spot. 

Dentists:  There’s a consultation fee plus a nominal charge for emergency treatment with the EHIC - the old E111 Form.   You may be charged for materials (eg fillings). Fees payable for some types of dental treatment.  

Hospital Treatment and Ambulance Costs

Take your EHIC for free emergency treatment to any state hospitals.  If your illness is due to a pre-existing medical condition (eg heart problems, high blood pressure), a doctor may refer you.

There’s a nominal fee for outpatient treatment and a small daily charge for hospital inpatient care, but only with your EHIC card, otherwise you pay in full.

Private hospital treatment isn’t covered by the EU medical card.

Ambulance: Transport free.


Issued by doctors and dispensed by pharmacies. Patient contribution charges vary depending on the type of medicine. 

There’s a small charge per prescription regardless of no. of medicines. 

Prescriptions from emergency services valid for 1 day after issue, antibiotics 3 days, others 1 week.  Not all medicines can be reimbursed.

Medical tourism

The Czech Republic is known as the Land of Health and many Brits travel there specifically for medical treatment abroad.  Not covered by travel health insurance or the EU medical card. 

For this you need to apply for an S2 Form (previously E112 form).

The EHIC card isn’t travel insurance.  See What Can Go Wrong if in doubt about whether you need travel insurance for the Czech Republic.


NHS Choices

Foreign Office Travel advice