Travel to Austria

30/04/2013 -- Admin
Share this: 
Rate this: 
Average: 5 (3 votes)

Apple strudel, winter sports, Austrian Alps, ice caves, Bad Hofgastein, palaces and castles, yodelling, Swarovski  Crystal, Innsbruck, walking, climbing, Mozart, Vienna, Freud, Salzburg, waltzes, Christmas markets, Stubai Glacier, Otzal Alps, fairytale villages, trekking, Stroh rum, lakes and mountains, Pez candy …

Medical and Health

Documents needed: EHIC and passport.

Doctors and Dentists

Doctors: Treatment is free with the European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) if the doctor is contracted to one of Austria’s regional health insurance offices (Gebietskrankenkassen), otherwise you'll be charged.

You can claim back some of the treatment costs (max. 80%). The other 20% is non-refundable in Austria but you may get a refund back in the UK.

Private health care isn’t covered by the EHIC, the EU medical card previously known as the E111 form.

Dentists: Only a limited range of dental treatment is available under the state system with the European Health Insurance Card.

If the dentist is contracted to the Gebietskrankenkassen you won’t be charged. Otherwise the 80/20 rule above applies.

Hospital Treatment & Ambulance Costs

Outpatient treatment is free in public sector hospitals with the EHIC. There’s a daily charge for the first 28 days for hospital inpatients. The 80/20 rule above applies.

You need a doctor's referral for admission to a state hospital. If you’re treated in a private hospital you’ll be charged.

Ambulance:  Necessary ambulance travel is covered, not routine transport. 

Prescriptions

You can get prescribed medicines from any pharmacy, charged at a standard prescription rate.

The EHIC card isn't travel insurance.  See What Can Go Wrong if in doubt about whether you need travel insurance for Austria.

EHIC FAQ  

NHS Choices Austria Guide

Foreign Office Travel Advice