Lost/Stolen Passport

12/06/2013 -- Mary Simpson
Share this: 
Rate this: 
Average: 5 (5 votes)

Replacing a lost or stolen passport abroad could seriously dent holiday spending cash.

What’s covered

Travel and accommodation costs to get you to the nearest British Embassy for an emergency travel document so you can continue your holiday or get home.

Can also include extra costs for things like lost driving licences, visas, etc.

You can only use an emergency passport for the trip you’re on – getting you where you want to go via 5 countries max.

What’s not covered

  • The cost of the emergency passport (around £95). 
  • Full replacement cost of new British passport but you should get a portion back under the Personal Possessions/Baggage section.

How much cover?

Insurers’ limits vary from £250 to £750. 

What to do

Contact the nearest British embassy, high commission or consulate immediately.

Report loss/theft to police within 24 hrs and get a written report.


  • Keep a note of your passport no. and copy of personal details page.
  • Take 2 extra passport photos with you in case you do need to apply for a temporary travel document.

Free passport

Age matters.  You qualify for a free passport if you were born on or before 2 September 1929 unless you need one urgently.


Check passport validity rule dates for your destination – some countries refuse entry if your passport expires within 3 or 6 months of arrival date.