29/04/2013 -- Admin
Share this: 
Rate this: 
Average: 5 (2 votes)

Travel within the Eurozone

Brits are taking more far-flung holidays than ever before, but nearby Europe is still the top destination for summer holidays and winter sports. 

Remember to take your EHIC (European Health Insurance Card) for free/reduced cost healthcare in state run facilities.

The card entitles UK residents to necessary medical treatment but in some cases you also need UK nationality to qualify.  Not everything's free.

Remember you still need travel insurance for Europe - the EU medical card (formerly the E111 form) doesn’t cover things like cancellation, lost luggage or repatriation.

Warning! More and more travel insurance companies now insert clauses making use of the EHIC compulsory for medical claims in Europe.

Emergencies: Dial 112 free of charge in all EU/EEA member states.

A - Z of Where to Use the EHIC

  • Austria
  • Belgium
  • Bulgaria
  • Croatia
  • Cyprus
  • Czech Republic
  • Denmark
  • Estonia
  • Finland
  • France
  • Germany
  • Greece
  • Hungary
  • Iceland
  • Ireland
  • Italy
  • Latvia
  • Liechtenstein
  • Lithuania
  • Luxembourg
  • Malta
  • Netherlands
  • Norway
  • Poland
  • Portugal
  • Romania
  • Slovakia
  • Slovenia
  • Spain
  • Sweden
  • Switzerland

Visit the NHS Choices website for info on the services available and kinds of treatment you could be asked to pay for in each country.

Foreign Office Travel Advice by country